April Makes, Faves, and WIPs

 Makes!

A couple of sewing projects!

First is this Hinterland Dress (pattern by Sew Liberated). I did a sleeveless, placket-free, shortened version. I was trying a size smaller than the last Hinterland I made to see how I'd like the fit, and even though it is a better fit, I think I just prefer a looser fit. The fabric was actually two rayon batik sarongs that my parents bought on clearance at Ross while in vacation in Hawaii! 







Next is this pair of Nocturne Pants (Sew Liberated) that I made using a brushed cotton herringbone fabric from Joann's. Nocturne is actually a pajama pants pattern, but depending on your fabric choice, they can actually work fine as out-of-the-house pants! I especially like pairing them with my Easy V sweater-- these are brown, and the sweater is a rich pumpkin orange. (I don't care if it's spring, I will continue to wear fall colors whenever I want!)










Faves:

  • Stronger By The Day is a strength training app by @megsquats on IG and YouTube. I've tried quite a few training apps, and this is the best and easiest one by far--it's a good sign that I didn't immediately want to just quit and delete everything. Meg is rather fitness influencey, but she is also knowledgeable, and you can tell that she puts her all into her work. Members follow along with her programming, which are themed macrocycles. (The latest one is Bench Baddie, designed for bench gains!) And for $12 (month to month), it's a pretty good deal. I've been trying to work out more and get back into lifting, so this is a good, structured-but-pressure-free way for me to do that.
  • I've been using my small Zero Messenger by Rickshaw Bagworks a lot lately! They're a small company based out of San Francisco. I first heard of them through the fountain pen community, because Rickshaw makes a ton of amazing pen sleeves, rolls, and pouches, and that got me started on checking out their bags, because I have also always been a Timbuk2 fan, and Rickshaw's bags are similar in terms of niche (? demographic? purpose?). You can get yours custom made, which is cool too! Mine has the Earl Grey herringbone on the outside, and solid lavender on the inside (get it? Lavender Earl Grey?), and the small is a decent purse size. (I have a small, medium, and large, and I wish the small were just a wee bit bigger, but not quite the medium size.)
  • Speaking of fountain pens, my favorite pen-and-ink combo lately is my Pilot Vanishing Point in Matte Black (fine nib) and Ferris Wheel Press ink in April Showers. (I'm not just saying this because it's the month of April!) I know that most people prefer black ink as their daily use color, but I've always preferred gray! This is a beautiful one. I intentionally don't put too much of the shimmer into my Pilot VP (I fill an empty ink cartridge using a syringe), but I do have a TWSBI Eco with a broad nib that I've also inked with April Showers, and the shimmer comes out beautifully!
  • I'm a little obsessed with IHOP's Bacon Jam Eggs Benedict for an indulgent weekend breakfast. I say "indulgent" because most mornings I just eat oatmeal (because it's the only thing that doesn't irritate my stomach), but on a weekend when I can just relax at home, it's nice to have something richer and heartier.

WIPs

  • I am still working on the Weekender Sweater and Bear Paw Socks that I had going in last month! I'm in the "Work in pattern for X amount of inches" stage on both of them, which I get a little bored by (NGL!), so I feel a little less motivated.
  • I have also started Andrea Mowry's Everyday Cowl, using some Spincycle Yarns Dream State and The Farmer's Daughter Fibers Reminisce Worsted. It's going to be GORGEOUS.

That's it! Right now, nursing a cold/sore throat (the regular kind) and an achy knee :( Trying to stay positive!