If it's worth doing, it's worth making the effort to do it well

 

I definitely believe in the train of thought that states "Something is better than nothing" and "Perfect is the enemy of good." Those are ideas I'm learning to incorporate into my life to take better care of myself. But in certain situations, I also wholeheartedly believe that if something is worth doing, it's worth taking the effort to do it well.

Example 1:

I've been knitting for a decade and a half, but if there's one skill I never quite took the time to learn, it's the finishing work, such as weaving in the ends. In my younger days, when I was in a rush to have something finished and ready to show everyone, I made sloppy work of it--after all, it would all be on the inside/wrong side, so who cares if it looks good, as long as it holds?

I've been realizing lately, though, that I care. When I look at my older garments, I cringe a little bit. All the knots and loose ends look so amateurish, lacking in grace. I spent so much time on actually knitting the garment, but I really skimped out on the last steps.

Thanks to the internet, I have now properly learned how to weave away ends (and can even weave them away as I'm knitting, so I don't have to do them all at the end!) and even though it's more work and a longer wait to take that finished project photo, I love my pieces so much more now. Even if no one else sees it but me, at least I know that it's a job well done, and I can be proud of myself for it.

Example 2:

Even though I have an enamel pin that says "Yarn Snob" (with a defiant middle finger on it), I have never actually thought of myself as one. I have no problem with acrylic yarn (I think it has its uses, just like any other type of yarn) or going yarn shopping at Michaels or Joann Fabrics.

But my knitting tastes have been trending pricier in the past year or so. In the past, I would've balked at buying a sweater's quantity of Malabrigo Rios without a significant discount, but now? I'm spending a significant amount more when I'm able. 

Why? Because in some cases, it's the particular yarn that makes the pattern a joy to knit (for example, anything involving Spincycle Yarns), and I know in my heart of hearts that substituting a less expensive yarn that doesn't have the same properties will result in me never fully feeling happy with what I've made, even if I've done a really good job. Yes, it's a lot more money spent, but the absolute love that I will feel for that object makes it worth it. I still substitute when I can (for example, when I want a basic solid-colored wool, I have many, many more options), but when it's a particular effect that I'm after, and I know nothing else will do, I go for it. And I make sure that I love it. If it's worth the time for me to make it, then it's worth making sure that I love it.

I guess the question is, how do you know when it's a "Whatever you can manage is fine" situation, and a "You'll be sorry if you settle" situation? For me, it depends on what the activity is--will I get a do-over if I'm not happy with what I decided? (Or rather than a do-over, a second chance?) Is it something high stakes? Is it a time-bound decision? When it comes to knitting, which is supposed to be something enjoyable, it seems important to take the time and care (and money!) to make sure I'm really happy with the finished project. Even if I don't spend a lot of money on my materials, I'm still spending a lot of time, and no one likes to feel like they've wasted their time, so why not make it absolutely worth it?

Popular Posts